"When you get to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on."
--Theodore Roosevelt



Wednesday, December 15, 2010

The Real Challenge: Fundraising

As I mentioned before, the Boston Athletic Association sets a fundraising minimum for charity runners because the race is so popular. While this is great for the charities as it ensures that they will raise a certain amount based on the total spots the BAA allocates to them, it can be overwhelming for the actual participants. This year the fundraising minimum was set at $3,250.

Initially I wasn't really too worried about raising this much money. The final deadline is May 18th, 2011, a full month after the marathon and five months from now. That's $650 per month or about $150 per week. Piece of cake! Then I reread my signed agreement...

January 31, 2011 at 5pm marks the recommitment deadline. Up until this point I can donate what I've raised for the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society and still walk away from the marathon and my fundraising minimum. After this date, I supply the balance of the minimum and am reimbursed as I raise the money. Now don't get me wrong, I'm happy to donate my time and money to LLS, BUT I'm not sure my credit card can quite afford one large $3000+ hit. So that leaves me with really focusing on fundraising. Having never raised this amount of money in my life I was a little worried. My parents raised me in the traditional "we don't talk about money let alone ask for it" way so it's a bit of a challenge for me to solicit donations, even if it is for a good cause.

Despite my reservations, I've come up with a few different fundraising event ideas and I'm sure many of you have already received emails from me. I'm happy to announce that I have blasted through my first goal of $500 in just my first week. To-date I've raised $840 which is 26% of the way to my goal!

Thank you so much to all of you who have contributed thus far. I'm not really one to get emotional or sappy but I  have been really inspired and motivated by your words of encouragement and even more so by your stories of loved ones who have battled leukemia or lymphoma.  In fact, to show my gratitude, if you've donated to me and have someone close who has battled one of the blood cancers, I'd like to run in honor of them by writing their name on the TNT singlet I'll be wearing on race day.  If you'd like to donate, here's the link to my TNT website: Team In Training: Kate Lauro

Finally, this is my official announcement of my first fundraising event.  I will be hosting a Bowling Tournament at Jillian's (aka Lucky Strike) on January 6, 2011 from 6-8pm.  We will have four teams of five and the donation to enter a team is $75 ($15pp).  There will be a two game guarantee and a prize TBD for the winning team.  The Facebook event will follow shortly but you can let me know now if you would already like to reserve a spot!

Ok, I promise that's enough plugs for now...back to training!

1 comment: